Winter is upon us. Here are 6 drinks to keep you warm while you wear your favorite sweater and get festive.
1. Butter Baby Hot Cocoa
Put a new twist on an old classic… and get a little buzz going.
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1/4 cup good quality Dutch process cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1oz Butter Scotch Schnapps
- Place milk and half-and-half in a saucepan and heat to a simmer over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, stir together the cocoa powder, sugar, and cinnamon. A few teaspoons at a time, stir the hot milk into the cocoa mixture to make a smooth paste. Scrape the cocoa mixture into the saucepan with the milk and simmer 2 minutes; do not let it boil. Stir in the vanilla and keep warm in a thermos.
- Pour into small serving cups and add a shot of Schnapps per serving.
2. Hot Toddy
A classic. Everybody knows that whiskey warms the bones, add some tea and honey and you’ve got it made.
- 1 oz. brandy, whiskey, or rum
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 1/4 lemon
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 tea bag
- Coat glass with honey
- Add liquor and squeezed lemon juice
- Add tea bag and steep with boiling water
3. Hot Buttered Cider
A tasty drink that can be served at your family Christmas Party.
- 8 cups apple cider or juice
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar
- 4 sticks cinnamon
- 1 tspn. allspice
- 1 tspn. whole cloves
- 1 lemon peel (cut into strips)
- 2 tbsp. butter
- Combine cider and brown sugar into large vat
- Add spices and lemon peel to “Spice Bag” (wrapped in cheese cloth), and add to vat
- Boil, cover and simmer for 15 minutes
- Add 1/2 Teaspoon to each serving (makes 10–12 servings)
4. Fiesta Coffee
If two of your favorite drinks are booze and coffee, you’re in luck.
- 1 cup of your favorite coffee
- 1 oz. tequila
- 1 oz. Kahlua
- Whipped Cream
Combine all, enjoy!
5. Warm Pineapple-Ginger Punch
A festive punch that packs a punch for the taste buds.
- 4 cups pineapple juice
- 1 cup sliced ginger
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 1 split cinnamon stick
- 8 whole cloves
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Combine all ingredients into pot, bring to boil, simmer and cover for 10 minutes
- Strain drink into festive mugs
6. Ale Punch
Beer, rum, and Christmas. How could that be a bad combination?
- 8 apples
- 5 cardamon pods
- 2 sticks cinnamon
- 1 star anise
- 2 quarts pale ale
- 2 cups honey
- 10–12 oz. dark rum
- Combine spices into spice bag
- Peel and cut apples
- Add everything but the rum into pot
- Boil, simmer and stir on low for 20 minutes
- Add rum to drinking vessel, pour hot ale over and serve
Enjoy your holiday season!
Sign up for our email list to see more articles like this every week.